Brighton PD: 4-year-old finds gun, shoots himself in the head | News
JEFFERSON COUNTY, AL (WBRC)- Brighton police say that Friday afternoon, a four-year-old got a hold of a gun and shot himself in the head.
The incident happened around 4:30 p.m. in the 4100 block of 7th Avenue in Brighton. The child was transported to Children's of Alabama in critical condition.
Police are not sure who the gun belongs to and are currently investigating the incident as an accident. Officers say that there were adults in the house at the time of the shooting but it's not clear how they are related to the boy.
"Apparently him and another juvenile was in the room playing, got a hold of a gun and the gun discharged. And unfortunately the 4-year-old juvenile male got shot in the head," Brighton Police Sgt. Ray Hubbart said.
Even though this is being investigated as an accident, police say they haven't ruled out filing charges. They say their main concern now is the child's recovery.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Homewood police nab suspects in jogging trail car burglaries
- The Birmingham Zoo works hard to keep animals toasty on cold nights
- Homewood city leaders discuss Mecca Avenue safety concerns
- Mountain Brook mayor shares memories of protecting the Kennedy family
- Our Lady of Sorrows gathers supplies for typhoon victims