New Ala. insurance law temporarily holds up online tag renewal | News
JEFFERSON COUNTY, AL (WBRC)- A new state law was causing some headaches for people trying to renew their car tags this month.
Beginning Jan. 1 county officials were required to ask for proof that drivers have liability insurance. The county's online system couldn't handle the additional requirement until Tuesday of this week.
"The lines were longer than usual. Obviously inconvenient to some of our citizens who tried to log on we not able to get through. We got it in operation. Our IT department worked over time [and] it's in effect now," Revenue Director Travis Hulsey said.
Hulsey says more people are using online services which now accounts for about 40 percent of those doing business with the county. For more information tag renewals, please visit http://jeffconline.jccal.org/revenue/.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Homewood police nab suspects in jogging trail car burglaries
- The Birmingham Zoo works hard to keep animals toasty on cold nights
- Homewood city leaders discuss Mecca Avenue safety concerns
- Mountain Brook mayor shares memories of protecting the Kennedy family
- Our Lady of Sorrows gathers supplies for typhoon victims