Bessemer coal mine may lay off up to 124 workers | News
BESSEMER, AL (WBRC)- More than 100 people may lose their jobs at a local coal mine.
FOX6 News confirmed this information through what is called a warn list, compiled by the state's workforce development division.
An official in that office says in November Rock Mountain Mining, LLC reported plans to lay off 124 of its more than 200-member work force.
The reason: a significant downturn in their coal mining business. Those layoffs are set to start on Jan. 21.
FOX6 News tried numerous times today to speak with Rock Mountain Mining officials, but they would neither confirm nor deny this information, repeatedly saying they have no comment.
State workforce development officials say a company of 50 or more people must report when it's planning closures or layoffs and sometimes companies may report higher numbers than they actually plan to lay off.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Homewood police nab suspects in jogging trail car burglaries
- The Birmingham Zoo works hard to keep animals toasty on cold nights
- Homewood city leaders discuss Mecca Avenue safety concerns
- Mountain Brook mayor shares memories of protecting the Kennedy family
- Our Lady of Sorrows gathers supplies for typhoon victims