CNG fueling station opening Tuesday in Bessemer | Business
BESSEMER, AL (WBRC) - The Alabama Center for Automotive Excellence at Lawson State Community College will unveil its new compressed natural gas (CNG) fueling station at a press conference scheduled for Tuesday, September 28 at 10:00 a.m. on the college’s Bessemer campus.
The CNG fueling station is located near the Milsap Industrial Training Center.
A compressed natural gas grant provided funding for an on-site fueling station for training vehicles and also allowed the college to purchase light duty vehicle conversion kits to be used for training current and future CNG automobile technicians. Current staff members have been able to pursue advanced CNG training for certification through the CNG grant.
“Our involvement with the alternative fuels program is a part of the college’s initiative to go green as well as reduce the dependency on foreign oil,” said Tommy Hobbs, business and industry liaison for Lawson State. “To our knowledge, Lawson State will be the only community college in the Southeast to have its own fueling station.”
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Multi-city chase through Jefferson County ends with suspect in custody
- Alleged victim speaks out about Center Point assaults, burglaries
- Deputies: Woman kidnapped, beaten, sexually assaulted in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County sells $1.7 billion worth of new warrants
- 2 domestic violence-related deaths on Sunday in Jefferson County
- Homewood police nab suspects in jogging trail car burglaries
- The Birmingham Zoo works hard to keep animals toasty on cold nights
- Homewood city leaders discuss Mecca Avenue safety concerns
- Mountain Brook mayor shares memories of protecting the Kennedy family
- Our Lady of Sorrows gathers supplies for typhoon victims